Monday, November 21, 2022

Not Delving Into Ex- Any Longer


There are a couple of books recently out that you might be interested in if you haven't read enough about ex-'s corruption, utter stupidity, bullying, and lies.

One is called Confidence Man, which has already gained notoriety because its author, Maggie Haberman, withheld some might-have-been important information before and during the 2020 presidential campaign, when it might have, but didn't, made some difference in the outcome. The other is called The Divider, by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser, which dives into detail about ex-'s blunders while actually president.

You are welcome to read them. I won't be doing so. Oh, I'm not trying to withdraw from his utter ridiculousness, because I'm not sure who can. It's just that I know enough now. I've read five works that does plenty enough to tell me to wonder, really wonder, just how we could have selected such a horrible person to lead us.

After all, I read the news daily, and I already know just about all the awfulness ex- has been associated with. Refusing to read compilations of so much stuff that you simply can't keep up with it won't change my mind about how I regard him, much less whether, if I get another chance, I would vote for him. Those questions were settled in 2015.

The issue is, and remains, how and why Republicans find it difficult, if not impossible, to simply dismiss and ignore him and move on to someone with whom I'm probably strongly opposed, but who might have something of a clue how to actually govern in a way that doesn't reflect his endless need to get rich beyond nearly everyone's imaginings. Who accepts that this is a big country filled with people who need help. Who won't spend time assuming that disagreements on policy are personal affronts. Who actually understands and accepts the fundamental understandings under which our government must function.

You know, that kind of stuff. If we get four more years of ex-, we get revenge visited upon all those who would stand in his way of doing, well, damn near anything he wants, seeing as how the perfectly acceptable solution of impeachment and removal have already been tried twice, once even after he has left office, but both have been rendered useless. 

And, of course, Elon Musk, in his infinite wisdom, self-delusional and pretentious, has taken control of Twitter and put ex- back on. Ex- says he's not interested, but we will see. I'm on Twitter, but I think the better road is not to quit it but to take the higher one--to let ex- rant on about his blithering and do what people for some reason find it impossible to do--ignore him. Silence is the ultimate weapon for such a knucklehead: the silence of not caring, the silence of declaring whatever he's saying so unimportant that it doesn't deserve comment.

It's like having someone in the other room who you don't want to listen to. Just don't go there. Render him irrelevant. It's happening now, anyhow. Candidates influenced by him are starting to lose in significant numbers. I'm waiting for someone of enough significance to start calling him what he is and always has been: Loser. The one word he can't stand is exactly what he's embodied for this entire, awful span that we have allowed him to dominate.

Of course, commenting on why I would rather not comment on someone is its own comment, and feeds the onus behind it. So I'm done. I'd done unless he's nominated again, but that's a long way off. He doesn't deserve it. But then, he never has.

I feel better already. I've stopped caring, stopped spending money on those concerns. Maybe I'll stop thinking about him. That would be a new decoration of independence. Want to join me?

Be well. Be careful. With some luck, I'll see you down the road.


Mister Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment