Sunday, March 10, 2024

Note To Joe Biden: Thanks. I Needed That.


It feels like a new world. Joe Biden outed himself.

He stood in front of a schizophrenic Congress Thursday night and told off his naysayers and those who would already have buried him, dazzling them with both his presence and delivery. His State of the Union Address last night was an eloquent call to battle.

It revealed a man who's grown in the job, one who's tired of the nonsense directed at him and his administration. From the very first sentence, it projected a ferociousness heretofore leashed.

A man too old for this enormous, all-encompassing job would not have been able to do what he did in the way he did it. He is spoiling for a fight. More, he wants his supporters to know it and join him.

Given the opportunity, once a year--if you remember, some of this attitude was a repeat of 2023's address--to face his opponents and detractors, he gladly welcomed the chance to take it on. He threw some of their comments right back at them, then, when they groaned, dared them to refute him.

Above all, Biden projects the Nice Guy image. He tries hard to put the best face on darn near everything. Republicans have taken full advantage, taunting him and his friends, knowing that their bullying will carry them through to victory in November and drag the country into a vengeful ditch beyond.

Until last night. He proved that when pushed hard enough and long enough, he has plenty of energy and nerve to push back. In doing so, he certainly provided me with additional spine. I've no doubt he did so for millions of others.

Until last night, I had concluded that voting for him was the maximum that I could and should do. I never thought that I could be sufficiently energized to do any work for him. He would lose anyhow, and the country would be driven off the cliff by the awful forces that Republicans have kowtowed to.

Now, I'm not sure. His job performance has certainly been good, given the forces arrayed against him. He was handed a world no longer sure of American significance, largely thanks to his predecessor, who simply doesn't care about that.

But now I've been shaken awake. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm going to do something. The fate of Western civilization hangs in the balance. America is the spoke of that wheel. The disaster that awaits failure, which might still happen, won't because I sat and watched.

Okay, he's old. So is his opponent. But old with integrity sure beats old without it. And his bearing, his presence, suggested one who is clearly in command, not one who stumbles and withers beneath the pressure.

It was Mike Johnson, fill-in Speaker of the House, who looked dithered last night. He even applauded some of Biden's lines. I'm sure he'll hear about that.

Biden has changed the complexion of the whole campaign, too. He will probably have to resort to defiant blasts again and again now. Once will not be enough. 

I wonder: Will this lead to a debate? Or will it cancel out the possibilities? Ex- loves to prey on presumed weakness. But Biden took that image away last night. Before, I cringed. Now, if this is the kind of president we now have, I'm almost wishing for it. Ex- will probably run away from it now. He will run away from someone he used to dismiss with cheap shots.

Biden is decent, but firm. Friendly, but principled. I'll take it. In fact, assuming he stays healthy, I'll gladly take four more years of it. The taunts of "sleepy Joe" will no doubt continue, but they will be empty and pointless.

Substance carries only so much for so long in American politics. It must be balanced with appearances designed to project competence and confidence. Joe Biden put that out there last night. Instead of breathing a sigh of relief, I found myself energized and yelling at the TV screen in glee.

State of the Union addresses are largely filled with bromides and policy statements. There were a few in there, too. But instead of declaring himself above the fray, Biden rolled up his sleeves and joined it, transmitting his willingness and talent for a political tussle, a crusade for the maintenance of democracy itself. He even got after the Supreme Court for its abrogation of women's choice.

Yes, he stepped across an ethical line. But his opponent knows none. He sent out notice: I'm ready. Come and get it.

Still eight months to do, so plenty can happen. But now I'm engaged. I'm no longer just watching with descending enthusiasm. I'm ready to join the battle.

Thanks, Joe. I needed that.

Be well. Be careful. With some luck, I'll see you down the road.


Mister Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment