Sunday, October 11, 2020

Would I Refuse A Visit to the Rose Garden? It Depends.

The Rose Garden. I remember it well.

I got there twice. Both times, it was because as a member of the NEA Executive Committee appointed to it by then-President Reg Weaver, I was part of the committee to select the National Teacher of the Year.

That was a fun assignment. I got to know people I never knew were involved in education. The workload was intense; we had to do a lot in a short time. But the process told. The people we selected were good to their title. And there were an awful lot of deserving individuals who, sadly, we couldn't promote. But we had great conversations and got to respect and enjoy each other.

The award was made at the White House Rose Garden, usually in late April or early May. The first time, in 2008, I was there alone as a representative of NEA--I think begrudgingly so, since the Bush-43 Administration had little to do with us otherwise, at least intentionally. The second time, a president we had supported, Barack Obama, spoke at the gathering, and so the entire Executive Committee and Vice-President had been invited. That, of course, was a lot more fun.

The chairs were displayed pretty much as they were displayed the other day, when Republicans of note celebrated the nomination of Amy Comey Barrett, prototypical handmaiden supreme, to the Supreme Court. People were seated that close together.

Films show them all smiling. They were certainly enjoying themselves, having gained the ultimate Supreme Court advantage which is likely to put women back into the status of token incubators. They believe that Roe v. Wade will probably be reversed, though in law but not in fact for those with enough mobility and money to have abortions anyhow. Having stonewalled that reality, were they also denying the reality of the possibility of infection? Of course they were. That didn't seem to matter. Either.

There was an enormous difference, though, in my visit. Covid-19 had not penetrated the nation nor the group. Unless someone had a bad cold, no one could have gotten sick either one of those days.

So it wasn't really a choice. It would be neat and a privilege to be invited. Of course I went.

But what about now? What if I knew that the president had gotten sick, was still probably sick, and most people there wouldn't be wearing masks? Would I go anyhow, that being probably the only opportunity I might have to do so?

Would it mean so much to me that I would risk getting sick, with a disease that might kill me? Would I literally risk my life to say I'd been to the Rose Garden?

Hard to say. But I'd like to think that I'd let science take over and make my decision. I'd either stay home, or wear a mask. But with that many people without masks and a president too irresponsible not to wear one, I would be fighting logic and common sense.

I might be poised outside the entrance and watch how many people entered without masks, hedging my bets. But it's a long walkway into the Rose Garden, security being tight back then, too, and withdrawing while that close would feel pretty sheepish.

If I entered, I could always stand in a corner, some steps from the crowd. But avoiding conversations would betray the purpose, which always goes beyond just showing up. It was supposed to be a happy occasion, with all the state teachers of the year (and Puerto Rico, Guam, and other U.S. territories, too), so refusing to participate in all but a token way would be a leaky way to celebrate that.

If everyone did have a mask, that would be different. But the very aspect of the gathering would beg to create opportunities to mingle and network, because one never knew what opportunities lurked there. Masks, above all, hide identities. You could always exchange business cards, but again, that would risk infection.

It certainly would rob me of a feather in my cap for me not to go. On the other hand, I'd have to tell someone I actually went there to impress them. This is the first time I've told anyone about it outside of NEA--12 and 11 years later. So though it felt like a big deal at the time, as most things do, the prestige didn't last long and never does.

Thing is, no Democrat I know advocates for big meetings of people stacked on top of each other, so I would guess that, at least the second time I went, Obama would give out that award online. 

I would have to check on Bush-43, but he pushed hard for HIV prevention in Africa, so at least he was aware of what communicable diseases could do. I didn't agree with very much of what he did and advocated, but I did admire him for his Africa work, and it seems like he would go along with whatever science would say. So maybe he would do make the award online, too, and relieve others from the angst of having to decide whether to join the risky crowd.

I'm considering every option here. But risking my own health is something I've rarely done, regardless of the circumstances. So I doubt whether the prestige of a Rose Garden visit would be worth it.

All those people did think that, though. It's difficult not to conclude that Republicans, even high-ranking Republicans, are more than a little goofy when it comes to the virus. They have to be pretending it isn't there, or they won't get it. Maybe someday someone will explain this to me.

As it is, 45 probably already had the virus when he held the gathering for Judge Barrett. He chose to deny reality, and with his scheduled campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Florida today, still does. His staff is getting sick. Secret Service agents have been getting sick for some time now. He doesn't seem to care.

Can anyone deny that he's all about himself? I wouldn't honor that. I got sick exactly once before an NEA Executive Committee meeting, and I stayed in the hotel until I felt better. What right did I have to make other people sick, even those I didn't particularly like? How incredibly self-centered.

Four more years of this would give me plenty to write about, but not preferably so. There are other things to say about other topics.

Be well. Be careful. Wear a mask. With some luck, I'll see you down the road.


Mister Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment