Saturday, December 26, 2009

Air Marshals? Where'd They Go?

In the new anxiety about the attempt of some knucklehead to blow up a jetliner--I don't take that lightly; I've flown enough to know how frightened those people must have been--something's been lost.

To wit: There's been little, if any, discussion about air marshals for the past three or four years. Are they still there?

And--shouldn't people understand that possibility when they get on every plane in the United States?

Why not post such a sign at every gate of every airport? At every security check-in? At every ticketing check-in?

Even if it isn't true? So we made it up. Big deal. Better than having these very demented people walk around believing that there's nobody on the plane who can't take them out at the snap of a finger.

Okay, the guy was stopped. He might not have been. And it took someone with great courage to do so. He was injured as well.

I'm so glad the would-be bomber was spared, though. This way, he gets a fair trial and, I hope, imprisonment. I don't want him to be executed.

That's right. I don't.

After all: He didn't kill anybody--though he certainly tried.

And I don't believe that any crime in which someone didn't die can be punished by execution.

Besides, that leaves would-be hijackers with a chance to rethink their deeds. If I'm going to be killed anyhow, after all, why wouldn't I want to take everybody else with me?

Either way, that was a serious wake-up call for our Homeland Security/Dept. of Transportation people. Either way: How in the world did he get in with those explosives?? If they can't be detected, what else can't be??

No comments:

Post a Comment