Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009--The Year That Was

My Year That Was, was filled with losses.

I lost my home. Got kicked out, though not my fault. Acquired another one, though I knew I wouldn't have it for long. Left that one, too. Now in a third, for a while longer, anyhow.

I lost my position with the NEA. I miss it. Who wouldn't? High profile, everything's paid for. People say hello wherever you go. Involved in high-level conversations. Saw the new President up-close, in the Rose Garden. Got to give a Lincoln speech at the national RA. My farewell speech was well-received.

Learned how many friends I'd lost. There are "friends," and there are friends. Didn't, couldn't, keep up with them. Circumstances caused the rest.

Lost my connection with Cedarburg School District. This, perhaps, was a loss I could absorb and even celebrate. Why in the world would I work for those people again, besides the money, which is no reason to keep teaching?

What did I gain? Lots of peace and quiet. Maybe too much. Boring, actually. Waiting for things to happen. Waiting to see if they actually will. Waiting to see how much I actually have to make happen. Waiting. Don't like waiting.

Gained perspective about the lifestyle I've lived. After a while, not that difficult to readjust.

Weight. Gotta do something about that. The more active I get, the less that becomes an issue. Gotta stay focused on keeping busy.

What do I still have? Family. Everybody's still here. Amazing, really. Much to celebrate about that.

Some friends. Some of those relationships have changed. Some are still there. God bless 'em. Gotta keep them going.

Health, relatively speaking. Prostate's still there and acting up. Will be a life-long issue. Back hurts, too. Will have to tend to that.

But--no sinus infections since I got off the plane-culture circuit. Now I know that the two or three attacks I'd have per year--ugly and powerful--came directly from the air exchanges. Feels liberating. Number of sneezes since September 1 could have been made in a single day with the stuff I'd catch.

Prince. Greatest cat in the world. Still diabetic; still allergic to something and scratches all the time. Misses my lap right now because I can't sit in my easy chair, and says so. He was a bellweather when I'd return from those trips. Don't know how long he'll be around, either. He's getting up there.

Opportunities. They're out there. Gotta do a better job in finding them. Thought I'd have a decision to make by this time, but no-go. That moment will come. The search goes on.

Heck of a decade. Another one coming up. Hope to make it through; not absurd to say that anymore. Still here. Still alive. In a new world now. Life goes on.

It's 2010. Let's go make the best of it.



Mister Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment